Register     Login 

The Maryland Wrestling Forum

Maryland Wrestling's Facebook Page SITENAME} on Twitter Maryland Wrestling's Association Site Follow Us on MSWA Blog/News
Last visit was: It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:52 am

Sponsors

Search

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Carroll County Tournament Preview
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:58 am 

Based on rankings here are the projected seeds: *Not sure if any weights are shifting

1-Joey Thomas (South Carroll) FR
2-Zach McAleer (Manchester Valley) FR
3-Aaron Nelson (North Carroll) SO
4-Brandon Nail (Winters Mill) SO

1-Tim Null (South Carroll) JR
2-Ryker Eckenbarger (Westminster) SO
3-Jake Cohen (North Carroll)
4-Hunter Romanoff (FSK)

1-Ethan Smolley (Century) SR
2-Tom Boldosser (South Carroll) SO
3-Jake Arnold (Manchester Valley) SR
4-Mike Bowers (Winters Mill) SO

1-Cole Wetzel (Westminster) SO
2-Logan Garland (Manchester Valley) SO
3-Shane Conners (South Carroll) SO
4-Cherokee Johnson (Winters Mill) JR

1-Joe Kuegler (Liberty) SR
2-Dennis Marmalukov (Westminster) SR
3-JC Myers (South Carroll) SR
4-Colton Macleod (Manchester Valley) JR

1-Bryce Hardesty (North Carroll) JR
2-KC Stipcak (South Carroll) SR
3-Neil Rinker (Winters Mill) SO
4-Ryan Weishaar (FSK) SR

1-Andrew Merrill (North Carroll) SR
2-Kevin Maks (Westminster) SR
3-Zach Plank (FSK) SR
4-Jimmy Guercio (Winters Mill) JR

1-Logan Hull (Manchester Valley) SR
2-Lucas Kirby (Winters Mill) SR
3-Jake Reed (Westminster) SR
4-Ryland Chapman (North Carroll) JR

1-Wes Dantzler (Century) SR
2-Ryan Barron (Winters Mill) SR
3-Jake Justice (North Carroll) SR
4-Jimmy Brewer (Manchester Valley) JR

1-Eddie Merrill (North Carroll) SR
2-Wade Slatniske (South Carroll) JR
3-John Milstreed (FSK)
4-John Knox (Century)

1-Jake Pooton (South Carroll) SR
2-Cole Myers (Winters Mill) SR
3-Devin Aldrich (Liberty) SR
4-Ben Carroll (Century) FR

1-Willie Mueller (Manchester Valley) SR
2-Jason Richardson (Westminser) SR
3-John Bosley (North Carroll) SR
4-Zach Blessing (Winters Mill) SR

1-Jake Utz (Winters Mill) SR
2-Tyler Carney (North Carroll) SR
3-Nick Donoghue (Century) SO
4-Connor Glass (Westminster) JR

1-Brady Scales (South Carroll) SR
2-Drew Averette (Westminster) SR
3-Nick Donhauser (Manchester Valley) SR
4-Sam Rothstein (Century) SR

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Carroll County Tournament Preview
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:16 pm 

Greetings Carroll County Wrestling Fans!!!

Looking ahead at the 2014 Carroll County Wrestling tournament this Saturday at Westminster
High School reveals many likely tough Finals match-ups. The irony is that the mixture of 3A/4A
and 1A/2A clubs makes for an event that draws very tough competition and ensures solid entries
at both levels from the Region to the State tournaments are assured as athletes battle for
seeding or just plain to gain an automatic berth at the Regional level. I’ve taken a stab at
projecting what I believe will be the Finalists at each weight with a projection of the winner but
until all the athletes declare the final weight class it is a tough call as wrestlers will no doubt
posture in the waning moments to commit to a weight-class that affords the best chance to
advance to the Region and State levels…. As promised, I've adjusted my projections to reflect
the just announced brackets!!!

106 The two freshman from South Carroll and Manchester Valley will likely battle it out for the
first of many likely titles and I like Thomas of SC to win in a very close Decision.

1-Joey Thomas (South Carroll) FR
2-Zach McAleer (Manchester Valley) FR

113 A finals match between Null of SC and Ryker Eckenbarger of Westminster should prove very
entertaining but believe the experience of Null will prove the edge and I like him to win by
Decision.

1-Tim Null (South Carroll) JR
2-Ryker Eckenbarger (Westminster) SO

120 South Carroll shows up for the 3rd straight finals match and this one will be a tight nip and
tuck battle. The Senior from Century should win a close decision but this one is almost a coin
flip….

1-Ethan Smolley (Century) SR
2-Tom Boldosser (South Carroll) SO

126 Very entertaining match-up in what should be a wild ride between two very offensive
minded grapplers…. Wetzel of Westminster likes to intimidate his opponents and in this instance
the tactic will be neutralized by an experienced Manchester Valley opponent. In the end I
believe Wetzel wins a very very close decision as this one should be close from end to end.

1-Cole Wetzel (Westminster) SO
2-Logan Garland (Manchester Valley) SO

132 South Carroll could surprise some at 132 as JC Myers will advance to the finals to
tackle the very tough Joe Kuegler of Liberty. Kuegler shows everyone why he is ready to make a
deep run at College Park by gaining at least a Major Decision over Myers. The semi-final match
of Dennis Marmalukov Westminster and Myers of SC should be a tough match but I like the
Cavalier to prevail.

1-Joe Kuegler (Liberty) SR
2- JC Myers (South Carroll) SR

138 The shifting around of talent yields a NC vs SC final at 138. The Panthers Ryan Hardesty
prevails by Decision against the Cavaliers Senior grappler.

1-Bryce Hardesty (North Carroll) JR
2-KC Stipcak (South Carroll) SR

145 Frankly surprised at Andrew Merrill moving to 145 as making weight
has to be tough with his frame. The battle for the finals is likely a three man race as Merrill,
Maks of Westminster and Plank of FSK all bring plenty of skill and desire. Seeding will ultimately
determine the range of possibility but I like Merrill winning a very close decision over Maks of
Westminster or Plank of FSK.

1-Andrew Merrill (North Carroll) SR
2-Kevin Maks (Westminster) SR
3-Zach Plank (FSK) SR

152 The move of Merrill down from 145 makes Logan Hull of Manchester a strong favorite to gain
the 152 pound championship. Believe he’ll dominate the field and perhaps gain a win by Fall in the
finals over Jake Reed of Westminster.

1-Logan Hull (Manchester Valley) SR
2-Jake Reed (Westminster) SR

160 A finals match-up of Barron Winters Mill versus Dantzler of Century at 160 pounds is another
intriguing dual. Dantzler is unconventional in his attack and takes tough angles to gain leverage
against his opponent. That will lead to victory for the Knights wrestler and believe he’ll manage
a win by Decision.

1-Wes Dantzler (Century) SR
2-Ryan Barron (Winters Mill) SR

170 A finals match between Eddie Merrill of NC and Wade Slatniske of SC ought to be forecast of
matches to come at the Regional and possibly even the State level as these two will absolutely
be in the mix of an incredibly tough 1A/2A West Region weight class. Merrill is a saavy wrestler
who can exploit an opponents weakness and believe he’ll win a close decision over the SC
grappler.

1-Eddie Merrill (North Carroll) SR
2-Wade Slatniske (South Carroll) JR

182 The Senior from SC is a cut above the CC field and should win by at least a Major Decision
and could gain a Fall against his Winters Mill opponent.

1-Jake Pooton (South Carroll) SR
2-Cole Myers (Winters Mill) SR

195 Expecting a very tough battle at 195 but believe the Mueller of Manchester Valley will prove
to be just a bit a better than the Senior from North Carroll and like him to prevail in a close Decision.

1-Willie Mueller (Manchester Valley) SR
2-Jon Bosley (North Carroll) SR

220 This weight-class simply distills down to Jake Utz of Winters Mill against the field and should
result in his winning the tournament with consecutive falls and closing out with a decisive win
over Carney of NC.

1-Jake Utz (Winters Mill) SR
2-Tyler Carney (North Carroll) SR

285 Heavyweight in Carroll County (and for that matter the 1A/2A West Region) is an absolute
crap shoot. This weekend though the Senior from SC should prevail if he wrestles to his ability.
I like Scales of SC to win by Decision over Averette of Westminster.

1-Brady Scales (South Carroll) SR
2-Drew Averette (Westminster) SR

For the Team Title I really like the South Carroll Cavaliers to prevail as they are Tournament
tested tough and will prove to be just deep enough to carry enough Wrestlers into the finals that
advancement points should settle the outcome before the finals even start…. The bottom line is
the Carroll County Wrestling Finals should mark the start of another very tough post season and
have every reason to expect that the collective of athletes will shine brightly over the course of
the next three weeks! As wrestlers across the region lock-in to weightclasses and the seedings
are announced, I'll put togehter a 1A/2A West Region projection as many have asked and I'll
offer my opinion for the sake of enjoyable dialogue but at the end of the day the wrestlers decide
who steps on to the podium!!!

Good luck to all the Carroll County wrestlers this Saturday!!!

Hawkeye :wink:

Last edited by Hawkeye on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:43 pm 

Great work Hawkeye, appreciate the predictions as always!

106- Have Nelson & McAleer wrestled? Nelson looked like a hammer against Nail from WM
132- Seeding will play a major factor. I foresee this one being contested in the seeding room, A beat B, B beat C, C beat A
160- Anxious to see how Barron holds the weight, he has to be very big for 160

Good luck to all wrestlers this weekend!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 pm 

McAleer and Nelson have meet twice already, both of which McAleer has won handily.

In my opinion I think the finals match at 126 will be the match of the night easily. Whetzel is so aggressive and physical. I see Garland winning on his technical superiority.

I would not over look finals at 106 or 113. The South Carroll boys will show up to win but look for their opponents McAleer and Eckenberger, respectively, to make it tough.

At 120 don't be surprised to see Jake Arnold to slip in to the finals only to fall to Smolley.

Both Merrills should take their weight classes.

I do not see as much depth in this tournament as there has been in years past, but finals match ups should be quite interesting.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 pm 

Carroll Alumni wrote:
McAleer and Nelson have meet twice already, both of which McAleer has won handily.

In my opinion I think the finals match at 126 will be the match of the night easily. Whetzel is so aggressive and physical. I see Garland winning on his technical superiority.

I would not over look finals at 106 or 113. The South Carroll boys will show up to win but look for their opponents McAleer and Eckenberger, respectively, to make it tough.

At 120 don't be surprised to see Jake Arnold to slip in to the finals only to fall to Smolley.

Both Merrills should take their weight classes.

I do not see as much depth in this tournament as there has been in years past, but finals match ups should be quite interesting.

Says the Manchester Valley fan....

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: Coach Siler, JL, mtm1974, marylandadv, wheatjam