Register     Login 

MSWA: The Maryland Wrestling Forum

Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:47 am

Sponsors

Search

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Rules in Harford County??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 pm 

Craig Reddish or someone else, Can you explain the new rules in Harford County reference no competitions or practices one Friday a month? I just got wind of this. I understand this rule came down from the Superintendent?

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Rules in Harford County??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 pm 

No way. What is the reason for this?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:47 pm 

Sounds similar to deer hunting in Maryland. No Sunday hunting because the deer need a day of rest and relaxation! hehehe Maybe it's set aside to do homework that day instead of wrestling practice!

Mike Mazza wrote:
Craig Reddish or someone else, Can you explain the new rules in Harford County reference no competitions or practices one Friday a month? I just got wind of this. I understand this rule came down from the Superintendent?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:13 pm 

No one around here seems to know about this rule. Why would a private school coach wonder about it?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 pm 

Stangmaster, Just asking questions to keep the best interest of the UCBAC in mind and promoting Harford County Wrestling. This private school coach used to coach at the public schools. I have the best interest of ALL our county wrestlers in mind!!! Ryan Arist let me know what is going on. This will affect my schedule as well.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 am 

It's legit Uncle Willie---I heard it from Craig. It'll cause the UCBAC's to be Day #1 in Thu---no practice for Harford Co on Friday...then finish the UCBAC's on Saturday

Only Football will be exempt-----imagine that

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 am 

So is this an every Friday thing?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:07 am 

Once a month...not sure one ...as in the 2nd or 3rd etc

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 am 

Is this for this year? I was looking over the document and only see they cannot practice during once a month teacher in service days. This seems detrimental to Harford County athletes, granted once a month but still.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 am 

So what's going to happen to tournaments that are held in your county? I.e. Iron hours, havre de grace both in January. Not to forget the Edgewood tournament (not sure if they are trying to start it back up). No only will this effect the HC schools it will mess up the other schools that have committed to their tournaments/ schedules out done. It will be really hard to find/ get into a tournament that will benefit the kid.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 pm 

Well John is preparing an email to send to our Council President to ask for help in this matter particularly in regards to the UCBAC Thursday, no Friday anything and back on Saturday fiasco. First our kids on weight maintenance and secondly an advantage to the Cecil County kids who will at least be able to practice. I don't think we can get much on monthly Friday hiatus but the important issue would not to be held to it for the UCBAC. The Super. must understand the advancement ramifications for our wrestlers advancing to regions and states. That is way out of whack. I don't have our schedule but we need one of the two previous Fridays off as opposed the one during the tourney. I would lose or reschedule the dual if we have one. I am in OC the schedule is home. This certainly was not presented to any of us prior to making a schedule. Nothing like flying by the seat of your pants. And of course it's waived for football.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:36 pm 

Yea I keep forgetting that your county is combined with others.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:40 pm 

This is absolutely insane!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm 

They are capable of doing anything!!!! CMW hosted the final 2 county tournaments before the merger. At one of them, it began to snow during the first round and then Supt. Jackie Haas showed up in the middle of the 2nd round with County AD and made us stop, send everyone home and then not let us wrestle in one day on Saturday. All the surrounding counties did so. We had to set up and run for 3 days straight the next week after school. No practice, weight issues, I don't think we did very well in the regions as a whole because of this. I can't totally remember. When we held the coaches meeting, the AD became surly and agitated as coaches made innocent recommendations. Told us we were being done a FAVOR!!!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

But again not only is he screwing Hartford count teams. He is screwing other counties as well

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 am 

Quote:
They are capable of doing anything!!!! CMW hosted the final 2 county tournaments before the merger. At one of them, it began to snow during the first round and then Supt. Jackie Haas showed up in the middle of the 2nd round with County AD and made us stop, send everyone home and then not let us wrestle in one day on Saturday. All the surrounding counties did so. We had to set up and run for 3 days straight the next week after school. No practice, weight issues, I don't think we did very well in the regions as a whole because of this. I can't totally remember. When we held the coaches meeting, the AD became surly and agitated as coaches made innocent recommendations. Told us we were being done a FAVOR!!!

I recall her making us stop as a blizzard blew in at about 5pm. I asked her to let us finish, let the traffic die down and road crews clean the roads, as the forcast was for things to clear up an hour later. She was having none of it.

About :30 after the gym cleared .......the snow stopped. Crybaby Co at it's best

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:56 am 

at least Cecil can practice, we twiddle our thumbs!!!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 pm 

It is my understanding that your county AD's have known about this for months. Now nothing was said to any other county schools. I have a committed team from your country in my tournament "The Best of the Nest Duals" on January 12,13 which I was told is one of the effected dates. Now I am in a bind to find a team to have my tournament run correctly (the way it is designed).

It's FUBAR I tell ya

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm 

Does anyone know the dates that are affected? Seems my son's team has no competition on that date but was curious if they were scheduled around already.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:09 pm 

I was told

January 12,13
February 16,17

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:21 pm 

So lovely, like watty said counties is going to be a mess. So no dates in November or December?

Just a wonderful decision and to be the only county with this kind of thing.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 am 

Just a suggestion.. Harford County Wrestling coaches draft a memo and have all coaches sign off on it and submit. Why is football exempt and not Wrestling??

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:30 pm 

I was told

January 12,13
February 16,17

Can I get confirmation on these dates?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 pm 

Affected Dates:
Wednesday, November 22nd (no competition yet anyways)
Friday, December 22nd
Friday, January 12th (the 13th is not affected, but since most Varsity tournaments are two-day & start Friday....)
Friday, February 16th (for the Wrestling community... this one HURTS the most)

I'm honestly appalled knowing that the only exception is for football (and I'm also a football coach!) The worst part about it is that I will see my kids on the day in between Days 1 & 2 of UCBACs, but not be able to do anything with them to keep them fresh & on weight. :oops:

Then, looking ahead, another affected date lands on the 25th of May (for you guys familiar with Track & Field... that's the 1st Day of States for 3A & 4A)... Does that mean that the large-school track teams in HarCo (Aberdeen, Bel Air, C. Milton Wright & Edgewood) won't be able to participate?

Twitter - @CoachBurrellHT

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 pm 

Has anyone asked "What's the reason for the rule?" Is the rule just to have a rule? I would hope that the person responsible would have some justification for this rule. Can this not be appealed to the County Super?.....Very crazy that 1 person could make a unilateral decision like this.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Moderators: mtm1974, marylandadv Go to page 1, 2  Next